How to Write a College Term Paper: 20 Great Writing Tips
When you become a student, you suddenly notice that the whole process is not going as easily as you imagined it. You keep struggling with your term paper assignments, and while other students successfully pass their exams, you find yourself in a troubling condition, because you do not know what to do. One of the things you have been thinking these days is how to write a term paper in one night for college.
This seems to be a reasonable and relevant question, since you often miss deadlines and have to postpone term paper writing until the last moment. By using our recommendations below, you can trace the whole process of writing a great term paper step by step. If you want to learn how to write term paper assignments, follow our advice, and you will feel much better!
How to write a college term paper – understand the goal and purpose of writing. First of all, you must understand the goal and purpose of your writing.
Remember that most professors simply like overloading their students with dozens of term paper tasks. They expect that a term paper will reveal the knowledge you have gained during the course and provide them with relevant information to grade your progress. Besides, you can use this knowledge to write a great term paper. You can begin with some useful information learned in the classroom and expand on it in your term paper. Second, you should also consider the possibilities of going beyond the basic information provided to you in class. It is not enough to simply reiterate the things you have fixed in your class notes. Your professor expects that you will apply your critical and analytical skills to seek new information and present it in class. These information seeking and writing skills will give you a much stronger edge in your interactions with professors and future employers. Remember that most of what you do or accomplish while being a student will translate into better workplace performance and provide you with a stronger argument as you are fighting to find the best job in the world.
- Learn the standards and criteria that will be used to evaluate the consistency of your paper. A perfect term paper is that which presents a strong evidence-based perspective on the selected issue and displays excellent organization and structure. It is not enough to find great resources and use them in writing. Your task is to make your term paper interesting, logical, and engaging for your readers. When working on your term paper, you will need to meet a whole set of quality standards. Apart from gathering the latest data, you will have to produce immaculate content. Your term paper will have to be free of any errors. You will not be allowed to use any colloquialisms or slang words. No contractions are also allowed. Use only academic English and be formal in your discussions and claims. You are writing your term paper for an academic audience, so make sure that you maintain a suitable tone throughout your work. Take it as an opportunity to practice your analytical and writing skills, as you may not have the same opportunity when you are at work.
- When you write term paper works follow all instructions word for word – this is the main factor of your academic success. No matter if you are working on a term paper or any other project, following instructions is essential for your academic future. You will receive detailed recommendations and notes from your professor. You will see what your tutor expects from you and your term paper. One of the biggest problems with term paper writing is that students fail to stick to the guidelines provided by their teachers. They either misunderstand them or ignore them completely. Remember that even the best term paper will earn an F grade if it does not follow your teacher’s instructions. Besides, no one keeps you from seeking more information and clarifications on your term paper. In most cases, professors and tutors are always ready to explain the term paper task in more detail. Moreover, they welcome any initiative or input on students’ side. You should not be afraid of asking more questions. You will look and feel much better if you know how to approach your task correctly.
- A good college term paper requires time and effort, so never postpone the process until the last moment. Do not think that when the deadline is close you will have a clearer mind or greater motivation to produce a brilliant work. If you really want to impress your teacher and produce a great piece of writing, then start everything beforehand. Give yourself enough time and space to prepare for your term paper. It is not a one-time endeavor. You cannot just sit down and produce a breathtaking term paper two hours before the deadline. Do not forget about unexpected risks: what if you fall ill or your computer goes down? Your professor will hardly take your explanations as a justification of your academic failures. You are a grown-up personality, and you must think twice before you do something. This is your chance to become a better student, and you should not lose it!
- Choose the most suitable topic. Even before you decide what college term paper format you must follow to get the best grade, your main task will be to select an appropriate topic. A perfect college term paper provides a new insight into an acute problem and gives the readers a sense of familiarity as they delve deeper into their own analysis of the problem. A grade-winning term paper will certainly be based on a topic or issue that fits in the context of your discipline, course, or program. If your professor gives you a topic, you must not deviate from it. However, if you can choose among several topics, choose what interests you most. This way, you will have greater motivation to write a brilliant term paper. You will be more passionate and critical when discussing an issue that relates to you personally. Make sure that the topic you have selected for your term paper is rich enough to let you meet the professor’s requirements for formatting and word count. You will have to gather as much information as you can to support your argumentation. Make the topic more specific. Narrow it down to avoid unnecessary manipulations or reiterations. You do not want to write 12 pages about middle-range nursing theories. Rather, you want to focus on one or several theories and relate them to your practice.
- Choose a topic you are passionate about and can discuss in detail. When selecting a topic and developing your draft college term paper outline, you will also need to consider two things. Firstly, is your topic interesting and popular enough to generate a sufficient body of evidence? For example, if you decide to write a term paper on the secret investigations of the U.S.-Russia relationships under Trump’s administration, you will hardly be able to find anything interesting or new. On the one hand, most materials related to the topic may be kept secret. So, you will not be able to access them. On the other hand, the topic is just too new to provide you with as much information as you need for your paper. Besides, you must be sure that you have a clear understanding of the topic of your choice and can readily clarify its intricacies. For example, if you are in a legal field and decide to shed some light on the controversies surrounding the recent legal ban on immigration, you will need to have an explicit and thorough understanding of the history, culture, and law related to immigration in America. If you do not have this knowledge or you do not have any time to generate any background understanding of the issue, most likely you will fail your term paper assignment.
- Gather relevant literature and evidence for your term paper. When you write college term paper assignments, the process of gathering and researching literature is likely to be the most critical one. Now that you have a topic that matches your course requirements and, possibly, has been approved by your tutor, you can throw yourself into researching it in detail. Generally, the more reliable sources you use the better your term paper will be. Your sources must be valid, reliable, and recent. Be careful when choosing the best sources for your term paper. The best place to start is your college library. You can either use online scholarly databases or look for resources in your campus library. At first, it may seem that the library is just too big to accommodate your needs. However, once you get used to the process you will find it easy and even interesting. Be careful when choosing sources for your term paper. Focus on relevant peer-reviewed articles. You may also want to use government websites and official publications. If you are confused about how to find literature, ask librarians for help.
The best way to start college term paper writing is by doing some initial research into your topic. By looking into a couple of studies done on your problem you will develop a general understanding of what is currently known and unknown on your subject. You may also want to look into government publications and textbooks, although peer-reviewed articles should remain the primary source of data for your paper. These sources will vary, depending on your topic or subject. For example, if you are writing a nursing term paper, then you may want to see the studies published in the Journal of Advanced Nursing and the Nursing Outlook. The most difficult here is how you approach the process of literature search and how you use your critical thinking and analytical skills to retrieve the most interesting results. You will have to assume a role of a detective. Imagine that you have a task to investigate and solve a crime story. As a result, you will have to look for additional sources using creative subject headings and peering into the fields and disciplines that seem to be totally unrelated to your topic. Do not be surprised if you suddenly find a rich source of credible data when you did not even imagine you could find it. For example, if your topic is U.S.-Russian relations, you may want to look into cultural studies, linguistic studies, and even sports and athletics. All these aspects can come together to shape a new picture of your term paper narrative.
Here you should also make a difference between what is useful and not useful for your college term paper. The whole process of designing a college term paper should be very systematic. This is why it is worth looking at the latest journal publications first, followed by credible news, textbooks, and government publications. This way you will save yourself some time and effort. At the same time, given the amount of information on your topic, you will certainly not be in a position to summarize it all. Modern technologies can help you simplify the process of term paper writing. For example, you can make photocopies of the books and journals you manage to locate in your campus library. Then you will be able to use these photocopies to make notes while reading them through. You can make these notes either on photocopies or take them out in the form of small cards. If you have several different sources then you may use the cards of a different color, depending on where the source is likely to lead you. You can even use your smartphone to make pictures and upload them to your laptop. This way you will be able to see, review, and systematize the material to use it later in term paper writing.
Be selective and manage your sources effectively. When researching the topic of your term paper, you will face various resources and will have to prioritize among them, based on their relative importance and structure. If you have decided to land in your campus library, then give yourself some time to look around and take a walk across the rows and lines of books and printed journals. Suddenly, you will find what you need, and most likely, it will be not where you expected to see it. You may discover valuable sources that will guide you along a different writing path. Do not be afraid to explore something unknown, unusual and new! If you specialize in diplomacy and international relations, you may want to look deeper into political science resources and encyclopedias. They may offer some information that will speed up the development of your project outline. You will find many works that look and sound similar to you, but it is still worth looking deeper into what they offer in terms of your topic, subject, and task. Depending on your subject and discipline, you may want to use journal articles, newspaper and magazine publications, and even news stories. For example, if you are discussing some latest revolutionary findings in the field of medicine, news reports may appear to be the only source of information. However, it is still useful to refer to peer-reviewed publications to justify your claims. The quality of resources you use in your term paper will also impact your academic result.
When you specialize in policymaking and diplomacy, you will find so many interesting sources to be used in your work. For example, you will never regret looking into Congressional Quarterly. This is the resource many other students have been using as a starting point in term paper writing. You may also consider weekly and monthly reports delivered by the Congress, as they contain the most credible and recent information about the development of domestic and foreign policies in the U.S. In any other fields, you can find similar resources and government publications. You can trust them at all times. For example, if you are an accountant professional, you may wish to read the news published by the Treasury. If you are a nurse, then the American Nurses Association will help. Read our recommendations below to see what resources can help you in term paper writing and how you can best use them in your academic studies.
Pay attention to quality, not quantity! You may have questions like “how long is a college term paper” when you are working on your task, but the most important is not the number of pages but the quality of information you provide. You may squeeze the most interesting data into a one-page term paper, or you may write ten pages without showing the essence of your subject. College term paper length is an important consideration, but the quality of resources also matters. Therefore, review the books that are available on your topic. You had better start with your campus library, where experienced librarians will give you a hint regarding the most important books in your discipline. The Library of Congress also contains thousands of titles that can be helpful in writing a term paper. Of course, it is strongly recommended that you use the resources published in the past 5-7 years, but it may happen that you need older books and seminal papers, particularly when you write a history or culture term paper.
Now it is time to look at journal articles. Articles come into play when you have few or no books to refer to. This is particularly the case of the latest political and social issues. Any professor understands that you cannot locate books delineating the difficulties of Trump’s relations with Russia or explaining the process of Brexit in Great Britain. These are the issues that affect modern people around the globe, and you will have to look into recent journal articles to fill the gaps in your knowledge. If you don’t know how to navigate through your online database, ask librarians in your campus library for help. Their job is to help you locate the journals and articles that will clarify the controversies surrounding your subject. Don’t be afraid of asking questions. You will be praised for that when you earn the best grade with your term paper project.
Look at government publications, as they have proved to be a valuable addition to any other resources when writing a term paper. Congressional committees often publish the latest updates of their activity, and if you specialize in policy making, then you are most welcome to use the information provided in these resources. You can peer into the Monthly Catalogue of United States Government Publications. Chances are high that you will find what you need there. However, please remember that not all colleges and universities provide an easy access to government publications. Unless you study in a government- or policy-related course, you may need to go an extra mile to locate this type of sources for your term paper.
When you have gathered a solid body of journal and book resources, you may turn your head to newspapers and magazines. These should be some of the last priorities in your list of credible sources, but you should not reject their information potential altogether. What you need to do before you incorporate these sources into your paper is checking with the instructor if they are acceptable at all. Some professors may strictly forbid their students from using news articles. At the same time, if you are allowed to use them, make sure that are famous and reliable. Do not use amateur publications like Daily Sun, as they are well known to have the yellow press status. Instead, focus on more reputable publications such as the New York Times, the Washington Post, the Wall Street Journals, and so on. One of the best in this sense is the Lexis/Nexis database. You will find hundreds of sources that match your topic and subject without questioning their appropriateness or seeking approval from your tutor.
The last thing to remember when it comes to sources and literature is the Internet. The World Wide Web is full of information, but you are the one to decide what type of data meets your criteria of validity and reliability. You are nothing if you cannot distinguish a reliable resource from a disguised version of a reliable source. The growing number of websites copies their more reliable alternatives without ensuring the highest quality of the data provided. So, when you are working on your term paper, be careful to use only credible peer-reviewed websites. These are government websites and educational websites. .gov and .edu websites are always a good choice in term paper writing. .org websites may also be helpful. In any case, if you have doubts, you are most welcome to consult your professor or tutor. Most colleges and universities feature a separate writing center that can provide you with comprehensive advice as for the use of website information in term paper writing. Finally, do not forget that everything changes. A website that used to be credible three years ago may no longer retain this status. Check with the resources you are willing to use in your work and ask questions, if you have any.
As a term paper writing professional or a student, you can also refer to miscellaneous sources. We have described the key sources of valuable information for you, and now you are free to add what you believe you need most to succeed in term paper writing. For example, you may want or need to add illustrations. If you are working on a geography term paper, your teacher may ask you to provide a map to inform and illustrate your explanations. It is equally possible that your term paper will have to include an audio section. It has become quite popular among students to add some oral narrative to the written story to make it livelier. It does not really matter if you use prepared sources from the library or create these visual or audio elements on your own. These can still be regarded as valuable resources for your outstanding college term paper.
Finally, do not limit yourself to the sources you have located in your online database or the campus library. You may surprisingly discover a great variety of other interesting sources outside of your campus. The world is so rich in information, and you only need to keep an eye on it. If you are a foreign policy student, you may want to talk to someone who has experience in this field. The U.S. has dozens of scholars who meet with students and share their experience and research findings to speed up your professional and learning progress. It is only your initiative that matters here. You can move mountains, if you want. Your task is to look for something others have not noticed before you, and you will definitely impress your teacher with your term paper results.
How to organize a college term paper: follow the principles of academic organization and structure your paper accordingly. When you are done with sources and literature search, it is the right time to think of how your college term paper should be organized. A brilliant college APA term paper is that which includes a systematic, logical and error-free presentation of comprehensive ideas. Therefore, your task is to organize your paper in ways that engage your readers. Here you need to consider three main aspects of your term paper organization. These include the term paper outline, term paper structure, and the term paper approach you decide to use in writing.
Speaking of the outline: imagine that you are a constructor of your own house. You cannot even start the process without outlining its key steps. It is like creating a house project with detailed and unique instructions, which will help you avoid major and minor mistakes. Because you have gathered so much information, you will now have to organize in an understandable and logical manner. Define the purpose of your term paper and create an outline according to it. When you have a strong outline, you will save your time and money, because you will find it much easier to write your term paper. With an outline, you will not miss anything important in your paper. You will be able to address all aspects of your topic or issue.
Different parts of your term paper should come together to create a logical and persuasive discussion. Basically, when you ask yourself, what does a college term paper look like, the answer will be, “it must have an introduction, a body, and a conclusion”. Imagine that your readers do not know anything about the topic you are discussing in your term paper. You will have to provide as much information as needed to explain the issue but without crossing the word limit set by your professor. Thus, in your introduction, you will need to provide some background information and set the purpose and context for your discussion. You may want to include the main elements of your term paper on which you will expand in the body of your work. If your term paper is based on theory, then you will have to include some basic discussion of this theory and its usefulness in the context of your subject or discipline. Possibly, you could discuss the methodology behind your paper and use the selected theory to explain some complicated phenomenon in your practice.
The body of your term paper will take most of your time and effort. Actually, this is the largest part of your college term paper. It will include numerous body paragraphs, and each will have to be related to the information you provide in the introductory section of your project. Because term papers usually cover dozens of pages, it is wise to use headings and subheadings. This way you will make it easier for your readers to grasp the meaning of your work and understand its purpose and logic. Also, one of the biggest mistakes students make when working on their term papers is assuming that the audience knows everything about your topic or the things you are discussing in your work. You will have to explain. You will have to clarify. If you want to write a great term paper, then you will need to be detailed and thorough in writing. Finally, you will write a conclusion, where you will wrap up the whole argument. You may also include some personal thoughts on the matter or offer directions for future studies.
- Choose the right approach that fits in the context and discipline for your paper. You will have to choose a relevant approach for your term paper. When your question is, how to do a college term paper, the answer is simple: choose the right approach to fit in the context and discipline for your term paper. In most cases, you will have to design your paper in a chronological manner. The main advantage of this term paper approach is that is extremely logical. Moreover, most readers can easily understand the chronology of your argument. At the same time, this approach has a number of weaknesses. For example, you may find it difficult to sort out more and less important things. If that is the case, your paper will turn into a heap of important and unimportant arguments, which will leave the reader confused. You can use the so-called analytic approach, which will be centered on a few factors, issues, aspects, or dimensions of the problem. You can also organize your paper around theory. No matter what approach or structure you use when writing your term paper, key to your success will be the depth of your analysis. You will have to critically analyze and evaluate everything you state in the body of your work. Do not think that a term paper is merely a presentation of various facts that are logically connected to one another. Facts can be easily accessed and understood, so your readers will not have any interest in your work. You will have to present the results of your analysis, as this is what most readers seek in your paper.
Tips for writing a college term paper: Be thorough and concise when communicating your argument to readers. Now you know almost everything about how your term paper should be organized. As a result, it is time to talk about the quality and clarity of academic writing. You should not forget that even when you have developed an extraordinarily great argument, you will need to know how to communicate it to your readers. If you keep your readers confused, they will not be able to capture the uniqueness and originality of your ideas, no matter how hard you try. Writing a term paper is not the same as presenting an oral speech. You will have to be very selective in terms of the words, expressions, and sentences you use to explain your point. You cannot use facial expressions or gestures in writing. Choose appropriate words and expressions to maintain a formal tone in your writing while also providing your readers with a chance to understand your thought.
Effort is one of the primary considerations in term paper writing. Do not think that writing a great college paper is an easy endeavor. You will have to contribute 1 percent of your knowledge and 99 percent of your effort to produce a memorable term paper. This is like an invention – you have an idea, and you must be ready to translate and transform it into something workable and useful. You cannot write an outstanding term paper if you have just a few hours before the deadline. It requires time. You cannot rush to produce at least something just because you do not want to face penalties for lateness. You will face many other penalties beyond lateness if you do not put any effort in your work. Below are just some recommendations that will help you produce a good and convincing term paper argument. You will have to write a draft. You will also need someone to read through your term paper before submission.
Begin with a draft. Ideally, you should have more than one draft. If you simply submit the initial draft you have written hours before the deadline, 99 percent out of 100 is that you will fail. Ideally, you will have to take your time and polish your initial draft more than once to achieve the desired purpose. When you have enough time and you are in no hurry to hand in your term paper to the teacher, then you are confident that you have not missed or ignored any aspect of your term paper assignment. You do not want to have your paper returned because you have failed to follow instructions or have missed too many errors and typos in the finished work. Get your draft done long before the term paper is due. Read and reread it. Suddenly, you will discover that this is not what you need for the best grade. However, you have some time to edit and review it once more.
Seek help from someone who will read your term paper, preferably aloud. This is how you will be able to see your term paper from a different perspective. You can start with your tutor or supervisor. You can always approach your tutor to discuss your topic or submit your draft for preliminary grading. Your tutors are your helpers, so most of the time they will not refuse to take a look at what you have written so far. Besides, teachers have the best knowledge of what should be there in your term paper to meet the grade requirements. At the same time, you can ask one of your family members or your friend to read through your term paper and note where you need to improve it. Your paper may have logical fallacies which you may not be able to notice.
Be careful with what you write and follow the formal style for term paper writing. You can do it if you pay attention to it while working on your project. Primarily, you need to pay attention to your sentence structure. You are wrong if you think that writing complex sentences is a good thing. What matters is how you are coping with your task and how well you are writing to present your data to your readers in an easy to understand manner. The simpler your sentences are the more powerful they become. Use a simple rule: if your sentence has more than two commas and linking words, then it may be just too sophisticated for your audience to understand its meaning. Reconsider your sentence structure if most sentences in your term paper are more than two lines long.
Use active rather than passive voice. It is always better to minimize the presence of passive content in your term paper. This way your whole project will look and sound much more vivid than when you refer to impersonalized verbs. Moreover, you have to use standard, formal English writing. Avoid using colloquialisms and slang. They will never improve your paper. Instead, they will distract your readers from the main subject and reduce your grade. As you are writing, watch out for the adjectival and adverbial modifiers in your sentences. Make sure that you do not have too many sentences beginning with the words such as “yesterday, while in the office”, and so on. Reduce the number of sentences starting with the words also, however, besides, additionally, and similar ones.
Manage the length of each paragraph to make it suitable for your readers. You do not want to have a paragraph that is one-page long. Ideally, your page should contain 2-3 body paragraphs, which means that a good paragraph will incorporate on average 120-150 words. Also, do not make your paragraphs too small. A paragraph with fewer than three full sentences is considered to be incomplete. Again, you may face grade penalties if you fail to follow the style and format of effective term paper writing. Among the tips for writing a college paper, you should also consider transitions between paragraphs. Here you can use words such as still, on the one hand, on the other hand, therefore, and others. However, don’t use too many clichés and do not overload your paper with standard words and expressions. They will keep your readers bored! Be effective in your discussion of various subject points. Do not deviate from the topic. Check your paper twice before submitting it for grading to avoid even minor mistakes.
Do not forget about the style and formatting requirements provided by your instructor. The style of your term paper writing is one of the primary things your teacher will consider when grading your work. Therefore, you should be clear about what you can and cannot include in your work. Speaking of sentence structure, each and every sentence in your term paper must be full, with a subject and a predicate. Spelling also matters. Even a few words that are not spelled correctly will distort the overall picture of your argument. Of course, you can rely on a spell checker, but you should not trust it blindly. Better check everything manually before you submit the term paper for grading. One more thing to consider is whether the subjects and predicates in your sentences agree. Such mistakes are quite common and can reduce your grade. Do not forget about tense agreements. Make sure that you use the verbs of the same or identical tense throughout the paragraph.
Pronouns remain a huge challenge for the students working on their term papers. In fact, failure to use pronouns correctly is one of the main reasons why students seek qualified term paper help. You must be confident that the pronouns you use in your paper are what they are intended to mean. For example, you must be certain that you know whether the dog you are describing in your paper is he or she. Is the United States he or she? Is the author of the article you are referring to a he or a she? All these questions require consideration while you are working on your term paper. Apart from correct pronouns, you should avoid splitting the infinitive. Except for the very rare cases, you should avoid separating the verb from its modifier.
Abbreviations – these represent one of the most contesting elements in term paper writing. You should not use them at the beginning of a sentence and, moreover, at the beginning of a new paragraph. If you are discussing a U.S. foreign policy, then the first time you mention the U.S. in your paper will be the United States, and only then you can abbreviate it to the U.S. Likewise, you should use full titles and names before you are able to shorten them to abbreviations. Acronyms should be avoided by all means. It is better to use acronyms that are well-known and generally accepted in literature (e.g. NATO). Here you should also mind prepositions. It is a bad idea to use them at the end of your sentence. Finally, punctuation can add to the great picture of your term paper writing. Therefore, you should be very careful with the commas and semi colons you choose to use in your term paper.
- Reference and cite all sources correctly. This is one of the biggest challenges in term paper writing. Many students do not know how to credit the authors and resources they mention in their texts, which is why they are likely to end up submitting plagiarized papers. Remember that when you are writing term papers, you will always cite external sources. You cannot write a project as large and crucial for your grades as a term paper without applying to the knowledge and empirical findings found in literature. Therefore, you must know how to cite the information you take from other sources and how to do it right.
You should understand that using citations in your term paper is unavoidable. This is done to help your readers trace the origins of your argument and review the literature you have used for their self-development and continuous learning. At the same time, it is a matter of academic integrity. You must be honest and ethical when using the research done by other professionals in your field. You must acknowledge the use of external resources, and proper citation will help you in that. Now see how and when you must cite external sources in your term paper.
Pay credit to the sources you use in your paper whenever you have doubts. When working on your term paper, you will have to credit other sources every time you use any information from them. It does not matter if you have quoted or paraphrased the original material – you will still need to admit that it is not your original thinking. At the same time, to avoid too many citations, you may use some general knowledge when citing it. For example, you can say that the earth revolves around the sun. This is not your discovery, but it is a piece of information everyone knows. Likewise, you may say that the sky is blue and the sun is hot. Everyone knows it, so there is no need to cite it. If you have any doubts as to whether or not you should cite the resource, it is better to include a citation. Your term papers will earn a better grade if you use too many citations rather than when you use just a few. Plagiarism is a serious matter, and you should avoid it by all means.
At the same time, you should follow the requirements of the formatting and style provided by your professor. If you create a brilliant college term paper that is full of correct citations but is formatted incorrectly, you will have your grade lowered. You can find recommendations for most citation styles online. Your professor will also provide some useful directions to help you cite and reference your sources properly.
- Learn the difference between different citation styles and formatting principles to succeed in term paper writing. Writing your own term paper can be a rewarding experience if you know how to use the so-called notation style. If that is the case, each and every citation on your page will be placed at its bottom. The Chicago and Turabian styles are the most popular, when it comes to notations. At the same time, you may need to use in-text citations, which are very common among students. MLA, APA, and Harvard are some of the most popular reference-in-text styles used in academic writing. In this case, you will also have to include a Works Cited or a References List, which will include all sources you have used when writing your term paper. Make sure that you have included all sources in your Works Cited list and that the names of the authors and publication dates match your in-text citations.
Be ready to present your term paper in front of fellow students. When you are developing a strategy for researching a term paper, you should also remember that you will need to present it in front of your audience. It is not enough to write a brilliant college term paper according to the instructions provided by your professor. You must also be ready to share and defend your argument among your student colleagues. This is actually one of the reasons why the structure of a term paper is likely to be one of your primary considerations – by following a clear structure, you simplify the presentation task. You do not need to reinvent your term paper before you turn it into a speech. A well-structured term paper is clearly suited to become an object of interesting discussions in class.
Even before you turn to your classmates to present your paper, you will need to check if it has all elements and components of effective formatting and style. A title page, an abstract (if needed), an introduction, a body, a conclusion, and a list of references, as well as any appendices, are the fundamental elements of a successful term paper. Do not forget to check the instructions delivered by your professor. Even if your writing is brilliant, a term paper that does not meet the instructions will never bring the desired result.
- Finalize your term paper project according to the following recommendations:
- Print your term paper using a legible and comprehensive font. Even if you are not required to print out the term paper, you would better do it to check if everything is in place.
- Check if your printer has enough ink in it to produce a legible and engaging term paper for your readers.
- Don’t manipulate the font and style of your paper. It is a formal document, and you must use the same font and size throughout the term paper. Do not add any extra margins. This is not the best way to show your creativity and originality. Follow the requirements of the formatting style and citation instructions. If you are expected to use bold or italics, use it to outline the key aspects of your term paper.
- Don’t forget about page numbers. They must be located where your citation style requires them. Most of the time, page numbers will have to be included in the upper right corner of each page. Check with your instructor if the title page should carry a page number.
- Use staples to keep your term paper together before you hand it in to your professor.
- Read the paper once more. Check with the term paper rubric if you have followed all requirements and have demonstrated the level of thinking expected in this type of work. It is time to relax and enjoy your time, because the most difficult things are in the past!